A crucial ingredient to getting the most out of your workouts is knowing exactly how hard you’re working out. With the Timex T5J031 unisex digital fitness heart rate monitor watch you’ll have the ability to track your heart rate, see how many calories you’re burning and even view your heart rate recovery data. In this review we’ll take a look at the T5J031 features, pricing and warranty details along with the pros and cons of this terrific fitness tool.
Timex T5J031 Features
Timex is well known for creating quality watches at an affordable price. The T5J031 is no exception. This unisex digital fitness watch is packed full of features that will satisfy most fitness enthusiasts.
- Unisex styling – looks great on men or women
- Watch pairs with the included chest strap to monitor and report your heart rate
- Track average heart rate
- Pre-set target heart rate zones with accompanying alarms
- View data for calories burned based on heart rate
- View heart rate recovery data gathered during and after your workout
- Easy to access buttons
- Resin casing
- 27-lap memory
- 100-hour countdown timer
- 12 or 24 hour time display
- Month/day/year calendar display
- Water resistant to 30 feet
- Indiglo night light
- Battery can be replaced without sending it in to Timex
Timex offers a 1 year limited warranty. The warranty excludes damage to the crystal, batter, band or strap. For $5 you can extend your warranty to a 5 year limited warranty. In order to take advantage of the extended warranty you must contact Timex within 30 days of the original purchase. When sending in your watch for repair make sure to get a tracking number as Timex will not be responsible for items lost in the mail.
Timex T5J031 Pricing
List price for the T5J031 is $99.95, but it’s possible to find it substantially discounted online.
- Great heart rate functionality including average heart rate, calories burned and heart rate recovery data.
- Excellent combination of features allow it to be used in a variety of fitness environments including swimming.
- Less expensive than similarly equipped fitness watches from other manufacturers.
- Full 1 year warranty.
- No troubleshooting section in the manual.
- As with all heart rate devices, some devices do not pair correctly with the chest band right out of the factory. While this is a rare occurrence it does happen and defective watches will need to be returned to Timex for warranty work.
- The heart rate strap works only with the watch, not with other fitness equipment. If you’re hoping for a watch that will synch with LifeFitness and Precor equipment at the gym, this is not the right product for you.
All in all, the Timex T5J031 is an excellent fitness watch for the price. Similarly equipped brands tend to cost a fair bit more and have a less robust warranty.